Every year for the past 5, I have dragged myself out of bed at 4:30 AM, managed to get at least 3 layers of clothing on and headed to a Park & Ride so that I can attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!!! I’m so thankful that this has become a tradition for my little family!
Now if you don’t know what this is, you will immediately be told:
- “It’s the most photographed Event in the World” -Everyone who’s ever gone.
- “You’ve gotta go!”
- “You’re all dumb- just go!” ( The use of “All” is very New Mexican)
It is the week in Albuquerque where the sky is filled with color and the weather finally is shifting towards Fall. This is a proud part of our city and Albuquerque welcomes everyone who wants to attend.
I’ve learned a few tips over the years and some this year from my close friend Brenna.
- Use the nearest Park & Ride and buy your tickets the day before to save a little $
- Grab your burrito and coffee once you get off the bus. They’ll warm you right up and you can get to a good spot.
- This year we went for Hello Deli (the line was the shortest) BUT their burritos were incredible and the coffee was hot!
- Head towards the middle of the park. Try your very hardest not to rush around to all the balloons that are rising off to the distance. Stay put because you will get the full experience with ALL of them rising around you.
- If you’re freezing, the sun will be peaking over the mountain and will warm everyone right up.
- Wear good socks- the grass is soooo cold!
This year was the first year Alistair was old enough to acknowledge the activities and it was incredible watching his little mind be blown. I hope you are able to attend this amazing event in the future and get to see it with your own eyes, because photos do not do it justice.